- The National Autistic Society www.autism.org.uk
- Autism-Aspergers www.groups.yahoo.com/group/autism-aspergers
- Autism Information Sheets www.autism.org.uk/infosheets
- Autism Resources www.autism-resources.com
- Talk about Autism www.talkaboutautism.org.uk – good for forums
- Wrong Planet www.wrongplanet.net – general information and toolkits
- Autism Speaks www.autismspeaks.org – information about young people with Aspergers
- Thinkfun www.asperkids.com – some great games that students may enjoy
- Robyn Steward www.robynsteward.com – a young woman with Aspergers
- “Communicating with an Autistic Child: A Parent’s Guide”
- Childline www.childline.org.uk – provides a free and confidential telephone service for children. Helpline 0800 1111
- www.firstsigns.org.uk – an on-line, user-lead voluntary organisation to raise awareness about self-injury and provide information and support to people of all ages affected by self-injury.
- National Self Harm Network – www.nshn.co.uk – UK charity offering support, advice and advocacy services to people affected by self-harm directly, or in a carer role.
- www.samaritans.org – provide a 24 hour service offering confidential emotional support to anyone who is in crisis. Helpline 08457 909090
- www.youngminds.org.uk – provides information and advice on child mental health issues and a parents helpline 0800 802 554
- http://mygrants.co.uk/grants-for-autistic-children/ – grants for autistic children
- Contact AddressEmma Whitfield, Branch Officer, tel: 07423 435413 (answerphone), email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The NAS Surrey Branch is a volunteer-run parent to parent support group with around 1500 members in Surrey. We offer a variety of support groups, meetings and activities for families with children and adults with autism spectrum disorders. Details of all activities are published in the branch newsletter, produced every 2 months. It’s free to join – just go to www.nassurreybranch.org
- Evening Talks: Once a month during term-time there are evening meetings with speakers, open to anyone with an interest in ASDs. Meetings take place in Guildford, Redhill and Woking.
- Coffee morning support groups: a chance for parents to meet others with children with ASDs. Coffee mornings run throughout term-time in Woking, Guildford, Walton/Weybridge, Chertsey, Milford, Frensham, Cranleigh & Redhill.
- Parents of Adults group: this group meets once a month in the evenings for informal get-togethers.
- Parents of Girls Group: meets monthly yin Woking and Guildford in mornings and evenings.
- Dads’ Group: a chance for fathers of children or adults with ASDs to meet in a member’s home for a meal and a chat. Meets every 3 or 4 months on a Friday evening.
- Online support group: the branch runs a moderated Yahoo! email group for members to share experiences and ask questions.
- Family activity events: we run events every few months for children and young people with ASDs and their siblings – including ice skating (Guildford); indoor climbing and a children’s Christmas party.
- Parent programmes and an annual conference. See www.nassurreybranch.org for details
We also run an informative web site and have a postal library.
Sian Palin, Branch Officer KT6, tel: 07917 271350, email: email@example.com
Information emailed to members regarding Talks/Workshops we run, activities and any other relevant information that families require. We run family Sunday fun sessions once a month, no booking required.